Sunday, September 7, 2008

My peeps (people).

Now that all three old zivis have left and two of the three temporary volunteers have left, I think I had better introduce you to those people who are a part of my daily life. You have already met Abraham (our OVERqualified cook). There are three zivis who will spend a year here in Tabgha: Thomas 20, Martin 20, and Johannes 18. After three weeks I will give you my initial impressions of them.

Thomas is the most laid back of all three. He is a short little guy who reminds me of a hobbit (this is the best description I can think of and mean it entirely heartening). He comes off a lot older than he looks because of a five o’clock shadow and this grown man appearance in such a small space. He and I are constantly practicing our English and German languages with each other typically in the form of jokes (mostly crude, sorry mom). He loves Germany, soccer, beer and watching German soccer while drinking German beer. He is very easy to get along with and helps me learn what is appropriate and what is not in the German habits. He also loves to tell me that all American athletes “are doping”. I have defended Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps almost constantly since I have arrived. I just laugh and reply to them “Alle die Deutsche ist Madchen” which translates into “All the Germans are girls” (please don’t take it personally if you are a female, my German vocabulary needs expansion).

Martin is also smaller set but has the look of an athlete and a baby face (I can say that with the mustache on my resume). He also has a great sense of humor. He likes to sing American hip-hop music to me that he only knows a couple of words to in the hopes that I can fill in the blanks. He just busts out into song and when he has sang all he knows he just starts laughing and tries to hum the tune until I pick it up. So far he has not challenged my music library, singing mostly Outkast and Kanye West. He is becoming a fan of Johnny Cash, which is a surprise only because I am the one who is singing it (I might be tone deaf).

Johannes is a couple inches taller than me and does not have an athletic appearance or desire. He comes off more as the “younger brother” who challenges those older (whether in work, board/card games, or discussions) in order to feel or appear equal and competent. He spends much time in his room on the computer talking with friends, playing games, and puts his Jack Johnson CD “In Between Dreams” on repeat (don’t get me wrong it’s a good CD to hear…once a week). I empathize him for being the youngest here because the age difference seems to separate all of us a little from him, especially with Leither and I on top of the nationality difference.

There are five lay men here: Abbot Fr. Benedikt, Fr. Basilius, Fr. Jeremiahs, Br. Franciscos, and Alexander (who is in the early stages of becoming a monk). The Abbot is in 50s, tall, and skinny with a deceiving appearance; he has no hair on his head, the lasting effect of a cut on his upper lip, and when he talks with his thick German accent I am reminded of a villain from an Indiana Jones movie, but he is very kind, always smiles at me, and has a great singing voice (which I am in awe of because the man loves an “occasional” smoke). He has this air of importance to him; he dominates at Dormition Church whenever he returns for short visits and continually here at Tabgha. He is at Tabgha because Fr. Jeremiahs, second in command, was having heart problems and the Abbot is scheduled to stay until about the time I leave the country.

Fr. Basilius is in charge of all of the volunteers and also the groups who come to stay at Tabgha. He is 32, round, and has this “jolly” walk, which I can only describe as walking with springs under your feet and swaying with each step. He always gives Leither and I this unsure look when we are speaking to him or when he is speaking to us, kind of like, “Uhh-oh. You don’t understand me, do you?” All the young people take a liking to him I think because he has the mentality of a kid still. He is very comical and seems to get everyone to laugh easily (I wish I understood everything he said). He is very knowledgeable of the country and its history and will take us on weekend trips once a month; I am very excited for these.

Br. Franciscos is in his 50s and speaks only a Bavarian dialect of German (different from the German I learned in school). This results in awkwardness between Leither, him, and I. I am the mediator as Leither learned Spanish in school so neither can talk to each other and I have trouble understanding most of Br. Franciscos’ words. He is very nice to us though, smiling and saying “Hi”, telling the other monks about how strong he thinks Leither and I are with all the manual labor (Leither is very muscular and the zivis are not much competition in the strength category), and constantly trying to get us to eat more at all meals (he pushes food at us incessantly).

I’ve only had short time in the company of Fr. Jeremiahs and Alexander. Fr. Jeremiahs had to return to Germany four days after I arrived and Alexander just returned from holiday two days ago. Fr. Jeremiahs was very excited to meet us and for our interest in this program. He is a replica of the Abbot in appearance, (minus the scar on the lip), demeanor, and is closer to my height. Alexander I would guess is in his late 20s and looks more like he should be an extreme sport connoisseur (pierced ears, goatee, and wears motorcycle/x-cross/snowboard t-shirts). He has been receptive of Leither and I (I think because we have helped him with heavy lifting jobs).

There are more to introduce but I might have lost your attention at “Now that…” so I’ll save them.

No comments: