Sunday, June 21, 2009

My last visitors

My sister Kate and her friend Nicki left me this morning. They arrived last weekend and I toured the country with them doing my best to guide them.

Nicki, Kate, me on Masada. Dead Sea and Jordan in background.

Both are older and both I looked up to in college. Both are capable people, both are smart and traveled, but both are in a foreign land. Again I was mystified at this guardian mentality that filled me while with them. When I am the most informed, traveling with loved ones is tough on my energy, physical and emotional.

We visited the grounds of Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Temple Mount holds the mosque Al Aqsa (not pictured), Dome of the Rock (pictured), and the foundation stone of the world (Jewish lore).



We did many of the things similar to when my other family members visited and the girls wondered what would be distinctive about their trip. How would I remember their trip?

Nicki and Kate at Dome of the Rock

Ha! Traveling with them was quite far from when the other family members were. I don’t think I’ll forget. The mentality of two young women in their 20’s provides a lot of surprises. We’re definitely treated much differently by people when they see us. There were so many subtleties I didn’t point out to the girls that I assume went unnoticed, at times hoped.

Ladies atop Masada overlooking desert

It was great to have one last familiar face here before I leave for home and another group of people that I can share this with. I hope I gave them another way to look at what life is like here.

Memorial for the deportees at Yad Vashem





Happy Father’s Day Dad! I love you.

1 comment:

djbancks said...

You have traveled well, not only this past year, but as long as I can remember. Thanks for the Father's Day picture. We both like to feel the wind in our hair and you do it in spades.