Sunday, June 28, 2009

The end is the beginning

Letters from home

I sit down to write this knowing it will be one of my last blogs from Israel. It’s tough, very tough. This year has gone so quickly, yet it feels like ages ago when I first arrived. I think back on my experiences: my highs and lows, the people, the sights. I will never forget the emotions I’ve felt here and the insight I’ve gained.

Ibrahim cooking for our party

I come away with so many friends: the monks, the sisters, the workers, the volunteers, and the guests. I have unique relationships with all. I learn from them all, I have challenges with everyone, but I leave happy. If I leave the people I’ve met with only an infinitesimal growth in their point of view of Americans, I’ll feel content. At least there is growth. We not all in the same mindset, but we are all human.

If there were a test that could measure my growth as a person over this year, the results would be staggering. I feel astonished that I cannot express with words what has happened to me as a person. I think to recognize what has truly happened to me, you can only be me. I have this idea of who I was when I came and it’s different from the person leaving here. Maybe those close to me at home will see a change, maybe not.

My tree fort

You wonder after spending a significant time anywhere if you made a change or what kind of change you made. My parents always said, “to leave it better than you found it”. I hope I leave all these things and people better than I found them.



When I was younger I always feared change, I feared things that were unknown. I know what I want to do in my life, but I don’t know what will happen. I know that the possessions I leave Israel with only increase my potential. If I thanked everyone who was influential to me in the last year, I’d have no time till my flight. Thank you Br. Paul. Thank you St. John’s Abbey. Thank you Tabgha family. If you are reading this, it more than likely means you’ve played a role in my progression whether you know it or not. Thank you.

Goodbye Sisters

2 comments:

Martin said...

You can feel content! Thank you for being here in Israel. It was a great experience for me, you teached me a lot.
The first day without you and we feel that someone is missing ;)
Hope you had a good fly back home and the check at the airport wasn't that hard.
I am glad to hear from you.
See you...

Nicole said...

Reading your last post, you make me cry, Mike!
And for sure, you left many things here better than they were before you!
I hope you go on writing a blog, I don´t wanna miss your thoughts. And as you said, we might not all have the same mindsets, but sharing them all with each other, we can broaden our horizon. I´m sure that you will go on doing this!
Let´s keep in touch, and good luck with the forthcoming interviews!