Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peaceful New Year's Resolutions

I arrived back [in Tabgha] from Jerusalem today after a two-day tutorial on working "the books"; I have been delegated some financial duties. I am eager for the challenge of a new assignment, kind of feeling like Andy DuFresense in the Shawshank Redemption, maybe not his same bookkeeping practices the monastery would like me to maintain but more his aptitude for the task.



Getting my "swerve on" New Year's Eve/Day.



While in Jerusalem I took advantage of the chance to pray at the Western Wall. This is a daunting act, for when you approach the Wall you immeadiatly stand out from those who are wearing either a Kipa or one of the wide-brimmed black hats, and even the simple process of placing a cardboard disposable (there free to use for those who are not Jewish) brings out how unnatural it is for you (Jewish custom to cover one's head in reverence to God). Men pray on the far left section of the wall and women on the far right (when facing from the West) and I'll admit I was a bit intimidated as I walked by the groups of men swaying and chanting prayers (who in my mind stared at me knowing I was green at this experience) to find my own little crevice to inhabit.




We came upon marathon runners 10 miles from Tabgha, notice the Kipa on the middle man.



On the drive back from Jerusalem with two monks, we were stopped leaving the West Bank (you drive from Israel-West Bank-Israel on the certain route we took) by the military security. With the recent military invasion of Gaza and ultimatum given by Israel, a rejoinder by Hamas calling for retaliation and unending resistance has led to even stricter border control and more frequent random person/cargo checks.



Tiberias Marathon Jan 8th.


While we had nothing to fear, being innocent and ordinary, getting stopped by men armed with automatic machine guns and trained gaurd dogs caused a little anxiety and we were addressed in a brisk and impersonal manner which led to some uncomfort in my fellow travelers. I was by no means cool and relaxed, but my mind was pre-occupied with the book I was reading at the time and I had drank 3 glasses of coffee and about a liter of water before we left and that seatbelt was getting tighter and tighter on the ever-so-bumpy road making the break a Godsend to me. Only after driving five minutes down the road when we saw another 20-some armed military vehicles parked in preparation for when the need of an emergency roadblock would transpire did I realize the "Gaza situation" is an "Israel situation".



Reading on the rooftop at Dormition Abbey


This country is quite small (compared to US state size smaller than New Jersey) so I am far from oblivious about daily happenings in any part of the Holy Land, but until something really effects me, the dial on my naivity meter reads "oblivious". While the following self-realization is going to surprise my loved ones, I've found I don't worry about things I can't control. Yes I can control booking a flight home, but there is no need for that right now.




Dormition's Church Dome



Happy Birthday Grams! I love you!

No comments: