Sunday, November 23, 2008

Feast of our Church

Much to my parents dismay I never joined the boy scouts, I never went to over-night summer camp, and I never was an alter-server. What can I say? I hate commitment.

I got asked to alter-serve one time at mass, when I was about 16, spur of the moment because someone was sick or something. Thrown into the role I faltered my way through the service and avoided any talk about continuing the service.

View of the party


Saturday the 8th we had the yearly festival celebrating the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fish. We invite all the important people of the land, the grandest being the Archbishop. As I told you earlier I have a picture with him at that Oktoberfest celebration. So we’re pretty good buds…no he didn’t recognize me.

Everyone involved in mass not including the musicians and readers.

Fr. Basilius asked the group of students from Dormition, “who would like to alter-serve for mass?” More girls raised their hands than boys. Bluntly put, a male majority of alter-servers would cause the least amount of disturbances in the Archbishop’s life; add Archbishop’s hat rack to my resume. My role in this production was to hold his mitre (very prominent cap). It was not allowed to touch my skin or rest on my body so I had to put a cloth shawl between my fingers to hold it. Mass was over an hour and a half long and my thumbs cramped up after 15 minutes.

Throughout the day people commented on how holy I looked in the full white gown. You’ll have to see the pictures and decide for yourself (I'll try to put them up later, I'm having problems getting them off our network). Take a wild guess who some people said I faintly resembled.